UNVEILING THE SECRETS OF CLIMATE CHANGE: ADAPTATION, LOSS, AND DAMAGE!

While on my recent school tour and speaking about Environment/Climate to passionate and unpassionate innocent pupils, I got so many questions. Questions challenging my thoughts and exciting my research notes.


These questions, make me think on my feet and sometimes send me to the books for in-depth knowledge and technical know-how.


Let the questions come my way! I believe I am not stupid and excuse myself to going back to my notes and recheck what I was taught in class but use my expertise and experience to respond.

 

“My name is Natasha and I am in Grade 4. I am passionate about Environmental management and have one question: What is this about Climate Change-Adaptation, Loss and Damage?

 

Hello, young environmental enthusiast! I'm here to talk to you about climate change, a big problem that affects our planet. Climate change occurs because humans release greenhouse gases into the air, which trap heat from the sun and make the Earth warmer. This warming causes many changes in our environment, and that's not good.

Photo taken in Mzimba District, 2022

Now, let's talk about adaptation. It means finding ways to adjust to the changes caused by climate change, just like we use sunscreen to protect our skin from the sun. Our planet needs to adapt too. For example, plants and animals may have to find new places to live if their old homes become too hot or dry.


Loss and damage are important too. Loss means things we might lose because of climate change, like certain animals or beautiful coral reefs. Damage means the harm caused by climate change, such as extreme weather events like hurricanes, droughts, or floods. These events can destroy homes, harm people and animals, and damage our environment.


Now, let me share some interesting facts and numbers. Did you know that the ten hottest years on record have all happened since 1998? That's a lot! Rising temperatures have caused glaciers to melt, which makes sea levels rise. By the end of the century, sea levels could go up by one to four feet, affecting coastal areas and the people who live there.


Another worry is the loss of biodiversity, which means the variety of living things on Earth. Climate change is making it hard for some plants and animals to survive, and some are even disappearing. For example, polar bears are losing their homes as the Arctic ice melts.


It's important to take action to prevent more damage and help our planet adapt. We can do simple things like using less energy, recycling, planting trees, and taking care of nature. By being kind to our environment, we can make a big difference in protecting it for the future.


Remember, even though climate change is a big problem, we can make a positive impact and create a healthier and happier planet by working together. That includes you and me!




THE GOALS

Our goal is  towards development that empowers local communities to make informed decisions for improving the quality of their lives without endangering their physical and biological environments

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT SHOULD WE DO?

INNOVATION OF NEW MODELS IS NECESSARY IN CONSERVATION OF WILDLIFE

ENERGY OF THE FUTURE: RENEWABLE ENERGY